Thursday, March 30, 2006

Baby Whispering


Secrets of the Baby Whisperer has changed life as we know it here at the Fletcher house. I started reading everything I could on getting infants to sleep because we were having trouble getting Holden to sleep in his co-sleeper. He wanted to sleep either being held, carried or in bed with us. We knew if we continued down that path we would be in BIG trouble a few months down the line. So my quest for help began!

In her book, Tracy Hogg advises that parents put the baby down where they want them to sleep. As soon as they start to fuss, pick them up, comfort them and put them right back down as soon as they're calm (not a minute longer). They will soon realize that this is the place for sleep, and that they will always be comforted when they wake up scared. She said this could take up to 30-40 times before they get it and fall asleep. I was thrilled that I didn't have to let him "cry it out". I was ready and knew I had nothing to lose by trying it. So on Monday night while Trey was in Newport overnight (I didn't want to have to keep him up all night too - it's no fun having two cranky boys!), I gave it a shot.

It took Holden 18 times of being picked up and comforted before he fell asleep. When he woke up again a couple hours later, it only took 3 times. In the middle of the night, it just took 1 time. It was a miracle - I couldn't believe it was that easy! He's been sleeping through the night in the co-sleeper ever since (well...waking up for feedings, but no fussing). Last night all I had to do was lay him down and he fell right to sleep.

Tracy also suggests having a structure for the day, even with newborns. She uses the E.A.S.Y. acronym - Eat, Activity, Sleep, You (meaning me) time. We are following that too, and it's working wonderfully. Life is becoming a bit more predictable around here and I like it! Here's some evidence of our progress.....

BEFORE

Now as cute as the little guy is, it could get pretty tiring holding him through every nap. We were basically "stuck" for however long he decided to sleep. Any attempt at putting him down would lead to a major crying episode!

AFTER

Acitvity time: Holden is enjoying looking at himself in the mirror while in his bouncy seat.


Sleep time: Here he is in his co-sleeper as I type this. I put him down, ran out to get my laptop, and when I came back he was sleeping.

1 Comments:

Blogger lmg said...

I just tried it from your advice. It took 8 times just for a nap! I can't imagine how I'm going to do it tonight! I must hang in there!

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home