Tuesday, April 24, 2007

14 Months

Little Boo-Boo is fourteen months old today! He gets cuter and cuter everyday, and we love being his parents. He's as busy as ever. As I write today, he has a swollen lip in two places and a bump on his forehead. He's had an "Ouch Report" everyday this week; he just keeps falling. He's way too busy to slow down. This past week he's learned the art of walking backwards. (Maybe that's why all the "Ouch Reports" are happening!) Some days he races around like his pants are on fire, throwing and pushing aside anything in his path. One of his teachers refers to him as the Tazmanian Devil, and I think the name fits. I've also heard his described as a Spinning Top, and yes that also fits. The boy moves! But I do have to say I have noticed that his quiet independent play time is increasing. I've seen him sit and play with a sorting toy for 10 minutes or more by himself. He's been really into fitting shaped pieces into different sorting bins lately. Tonight he played with an empty shampoo bottle in the bath for at least 20 minutes. These glimpses of long, quiet play time show me that he really is growing up.

It's fun to hear him continue to repeat words. Last Friday he said paper as clear as day. I looked at his teachers and asked if they heard that. They said, "Oh yeah, he talks a lot." This week they told me he knows how to say bird and bubbles. Trey shared with me this past week that he didn't think Holden was going to be a talker. He's definitely changed his opinion though. Our house is rarely quiet as Holden SCREAMS a lot of the time now. Even his gibberish sentences.

Holden has gotten two new molars in the last week. That makes a total of three molars, eleven teeth all together. They seem to just keep popping out everyday.

The most amazing thing I've noticed this month is that he is starting to make connections. I always used to play this game "Up, Doooowwwn" with him when I put in the carseat because he fought getting in. I would pull the sun window shade down, put him the seat and push the button to roll it up quickly and say "UP!" He would flinch and laugh, and then I would pull in back down, "Doooowwwn!" We would do a couple of rounds because I loved hearing him crack up. Well, not only does he walk around saying "upppp, doooowwww" now, but he is also applying it to new situations. One night he pulled the shower pull up on the tub spout and started the "Up, Down" song. He'll also sing it if he hears the word up or down used.

When it rained last week while he was at school, he walked over to the door pointed outside and said, "awa" (agua). One of his teachers, Lupe, speaks Spanish to him which Trey is thrilled about. These little connections are amazing to me. I know he knows what water is, but how did he know rain was water? I love it!

I don't know if Holden's entering a separation anxiety phase or what, but he cries sometimes when I leave. It is really sad. I know he's probably fine once I leave but I hate leaving him while he's crying for me. Now that I think about it, he may just be exerting his power because he also pushes me away (literally, he pushes against my legs until I back up) from activities, like doing the dishes and checking my e-mail, if he wants my attention. He's learning that he's quite a powerful little fella.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home