Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Miracle

Nothing short of a miracle has just occurred here tonight. Holden woke from his nap around 4:00, and came to me and said, " I stayed in my bed, Mom." Then I talked to him about how he didn't follow his sleep rules. We went through them one by one.
Rule 1: Stay in bed.
ME: Did you stay in your bed?
HF: Yes, I did!
ME: No, you got out five times. I had to put you back in bed five times.

Rule 2: Close your eyes.
ME: Did you close your eyes?
HF: Yes, I close my eyes.
ME: No, you got out of bed five times. You didn't close your eyes.

Rule 3: Stay very quiet.
ME: Did you stay very quiet?
HF: Yes (with a little less enthusiasm - I think he was starting to see where this was going).
ME: No, you weren't quiet. You yelled and played and called my name.

Rule 4: Go to sleep.
ME: Did you go to sleep?
HF: Yes, I did!
ME: You're right, you did, and that was a good job. It took you two hours though. Next time, you have to go right to sleep.

We talked about how he didn't earn his rewards, and how he could try for them again tonight. He decided he wanted: Daddy to fix his truck still, a blueberry cereal bar, and to watch Toy Story tomorrow.

Tonight, I put him to bed about 7:25. We went over his rules again and I told him I especially want him to close his eyes right away and stay very quiet, no calling Mommy. I had him show me what that meant. I tucked him in, told him I loved him, and I'd see him in the morning. I walked out and it's been silent in there ever since. No rolling around in bed, no talking, no singing....just quiet. He went right to sleep. That Dr. Mark Weissbluth knows what he's talking about! I hope it's not too good to be true. I'm off to read the chapters on newborn sleep now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna Davis said...

Wow! I will definitely have to get more information if/when we have the guts to let Waylon sleep in a big boy bed.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your updates with all of the great stories. Your memory (and Holden's verbal skills) are amazing. He is so lucky that he has a great record of all of the fun things he said growing up.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home